Cleaning windows may look easy however, many of us still get it done the wrong way. This is why it’s essential that we learn the proper way to clean the window to get the best result possible. We have to achieve that streak – free result with not too much effort.
Having a clean window is important to make your home presentable and also to increase the amount of natural light to come into your rooms. So here are some techniques for cleaning windows.
Before you clean your windows, take note of these tips:
- Do not clean on a sunny day. You have to put the cleaning on hold and wait for the cloudy day. You may think it is ideal to clean when the sun is bright because it would be easy to see the dirt and semars. However, when you clean your window under the heat of the sun, the cleaning solution you apply on your window will be dry quickly which is usually the cause of streaks.
- Brush or vacuum the window first to remove bulk of dust and dirt. Make to include the frames and sills. Doing this will avoid making a muddy mess when you apply the cleaning solution.
- Remove your window dressing especially if you only clean twice or once a year. This will also give you the chance to freshen up your curtains or blinds.
Here are some tips in cleaning your windows.
Cleaning from the inside:
- Prepare a large bucket or big pot with clean and cool water. Add a few drops of dishwashing soap or your preferred window cleaner product.
- There will be splashed and spills so place a large rag beneath the windows. You can also use an old bath towel.
- Use a sponge or a clean microfiber cloth to clean the surface of the window. Begin at the top and work your way down. Also wipe both the inside and outside the window frame.
- Apply your cleaning solution using a spray bottle. You can also make a natural cleaning solution by mixing vinegar with water.
- Dry the window using a clean towel using the black and white portion of a newspaper. Do this in a Z motion. Paper towels can also be used in drying the windows.
- If you still see dirt and streaks, spray your cleaning solution again and dry it out. Typically, a dirty window requires two to three rounds of cleaning and drying.
Cleaning from the outside:
- The outside part of the windows consist more dirt and stains. It is understandable as it’s the part that is more exposed to dirt, dust and other contaminants. Start with rinsing the windows using a garden hose. Then prepare a bucket of water with a few drops of dish soap or window cleaner product.
- Clean the surface of the window using a soft microfiber cloth. You can also use a sponge mop to reach the top of higher windows.
- Rinse thoroughly with clean water.
- Spray your cleaning solution into the surface.
- Dry the window using a clean towel or a newspaper. Alternatively, you can use a rubber-bladed squeegee. Just don’t forget to wipe the squeegee with a dry towel after each cleaning pass.
- If there are stubborn stains like bird’s droppings, you can spray a water and vinegar solution directly on the stain and leave it for a few minutes before drying it out. You can also try to use a soft sponge to scrub the dirt. Do not use harsh scrubbing tools or steel wool or else you’ll scratch your windows.
- For window screens, rinse it with water then spray your cleaning solution then rinse again. Make sure to dry it properly.
There are times when windows will have stubborn stains that can’t be removed easily. If you are living in an area with hard water, your windows may potentially be stained with mineral deposits. The best thing to do is hiring professionals like gold coast cleaners to get the job done effectively. Professional cleaners are knowledgeable about removing stains like rust, lime and others. Plus they have the needed equipment to make your windows clean, sparkling and streak-free.
Cleaning windows is beneficial. Not only does it add comfort and improve the appearance of your home or building, it’s also a way of making your windows last longer. According to the study, regularly cleaned windows last longer than those windows who do not receive proper cleaning on a regular basis. Windows can easily break down when exposed to environmental contaminants like acid, hard water, etc. This is especially true when you are located near a construction site or a roadway. If you want to make your home presentable or make your home the ebay looking house on the block, one secret weapon is having spotless, streak-free and clear windows.